Monday, November 8, 2010

R.I.P.

news came today. and it came hard.

every time i return home from work, first thing i do is look for my dog rosie. i'm generally not in the best of moods when i get home, for obvious reasons (work) but rosie changed that faster than anything, tag wagging, barking, and running to me as fast as she could muster in her old age, greeting me with the warmest welcomes i've ever received, genuinely happy that i had made it home. but today was different. today there was my mother and my sister crying in the living room. today there was no barking. today there was no rosie.

within seconds i knew the cause of these tears. and just as quickly i was forming my own tears. rosie has had really bad allergies for a really long time. my mom explained that all the medicines she had been taking over the years to help it had finally caught up with her, and destroyed her liver. my dad took her to the vet on friday and they discovered how bad all the damage really was. he had to make a choice. the answer, although very hard, was clear. it was her time to go. my mom told us that it was really hard on him, and until now they've been telling us that she was just staying over at the vets to be watched because they've been too scared to break the news

sadness and cry fests are all this day brought, until i saw something in my window well- an elf hat filled with a bunch of wonka candies and bernie botts every flavor bean! then i found out that the giver of the gifts was outside my house. i quickly ran out. they let me cry. and they made me laugh. and most importantly they took me to the store to get tampons. everything that a great friend should do. thanks so much gav and lins. you guys are the best.

rosie loved me. unconditionally. i could call her names and push her away, but she'd still come back, tail wagging, insisting that i pet her. dogs have the power to turn hard asses into baby- talking fools, to turn people who are closed off into showing affection, and people who feel defeated into trusting again. you may say a dog is a dog, a pet is just a pet. but they are so much more than that, and full of lessons. losing a pet is one hard hit.

today, i lost my little best friend.


rest in peace little girl. you will be missed. i sure hope that you're being pampered as much as you tricked us into up in heaven.

3 comments:

  1. Cameo's are my all time favorite. Im glad we could help and I'm still sorry about Rosie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. found this for you. love you. bye.

    "People whose lives include relationships with animals are usually
    happier. For me at least, heaven will not be heaven unless the animal
    kingdom is part of God’s kingdom."
    Marlin K. Jensen

    ReplyDelete